Throughout history there have been laws passed and laws removed from the books. Depending on what era you grew up in, I'm sure all the laws made sense at that time. As time progressed, some of the laws that could be deemed crazy, weird or just plain stupid have managed to slip through the filter and remain intact. In this series, we will be taking a look at dumb laws that are still on books in these here United States. Ninth in the series... Florida.
1. Unmarried couples may not commit "lewd acts" and live together in the same residence. So, couples can't shack up and they can't get freaky with each other... Florida sounds like your Mom's house, huh?
2. In Cape Coral, it is against the city ordinance to hang your clothes outside on a clothesline. Well, I guess you can just throw them across the shrubbery and porch railings like I've seen done so much when people don't own a dryer. Who doesn't own a clothes dryer these days?
3. In Daytona Beach, while being intoxicated, also being under the influence of narcotics is prohibited. Yeah... you wouldn't want to make that zombie attack from those bath salts you ingested any more gross than what it will already be... :/
4. Florida law prohibits rats to leave the ships docked in Tampa bay. Unless they have the Pied Piper on deck constantly blowing on his magic pipe, I can't see that happening.
5. Having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal. And I can imagine also very painful.
6. In Florida, failure to tell your neighbor his house is on fire is illegal. Unless he is in it of course, then you may just want to dial 911.
7. In Miami, men may not be seen publicly in any type of strapless dress. Which answers my question as to why the population is so high in Atlanta, Ga.
8. When having sex, only the missionary position is legal. I shall never reside in the state of Florida... That is all.
9. Women who fall asleep under a hair dryer can be fined, as can the owner of the salon. I have never liked hair dryers. They take too long and they get too hot, which makes me wonder, who in the hell can sleep under those things? They don't need to be fined, they need to be rewarded because that heat is murder on your ears.
10. My last and final pick for one of Florida's dumbest laws is, *insert drum roll*... The stand your ground statute. Since the beginning of the year, people of all races have been doing all kinds of craziness and claiming this law as their defense. If you've been paying attention to the news lately, there is no need to elaborate.
Okay readers, do any of you reside in the Sunshine State? Are you aware of any crazy laws that are still on the books? We would love it if you would share.